Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs
Group 2 | Program 1.3
Question No. 44
Senator Wright asked the following question at the hearing on 16 October 2012:
Senator WRIGHT: I am going to ask you to take on notice questions about the annual amount of Commonwealth funding provided to legal aid services over the past five years with a breakdown for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal services, community legal centres and family violence prevention legal services, and by state and territory.
1. Can you please provide details of the total annual amount of Commonwealth funding provided to legal aid services over the past five years.
2. Can you please also provide details of the total annual amount of Commonwealth funding provided over the last five years to:
a) Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services;
b) Community Legal Centres; and
c) Family Violence Prevention Legal Services.
3. Can you also provide a State and Territory breakdown of the funding provided to Legal Assistance Services, ATSILs, CLCs and FVPLS.
4. The Commonwealth government has apparently spent $1.3 billion in funding for legal assistance services. Can you please provide a breakdown of how this money has been or will be spent - i.e. how much has been spent over the past 5 years and how much will be spent over forward estimates.
5. Can you also provide details of the services that are receiving these funds, for example, how much is going to legal aid services and how much is going to Community Legal Centres.
The answers to these questions on notice are available for download here.