Churches, community groups, international rights advocates and the Australian Human Rights Commission have all criticised the Government's Pacific Solution and their race to the bottom with the Coalition.
- Amnesty International: Nauru camp a human rights catastrophe with no end in sight
- Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network: "Australia's actions are contributing to a decline in the security of refugees within the Asia-Pacific region"
- Australian Human Rights Commission: Commission raises strong concerns over developments in Australia's response to asylum seekers
- Josephite Justice Office: "We continue to grieve for those who are suffering enormously because of the actions of a Government which plays with people's lives."
- Refugee Council of Australia: Manus Island is no place for families
- Refugee Council of Australia: "In reality, harsher deterrent policies close the door to safer pathways, forcing asylum seekers and refugees in Asia into further uncertainty"
- Refugee Council of Australia: "Instead of offering protection, the Australian Government is handing out punishment to asylum seekers because, in the absence of safer pathways, they have been driven by desperation to travel by boat to seek asylum."
- Uniting Church in Australia: "This is nothing short of forced destitution. Similar policies under the Howard Government saw asylum seekers living in dire poverty with chronic health issues, sometimes lost in the system for years."
- Uniting Church in Australia: "Treatment of asylum seekers hits all-time low"