It's now been over six months since the release of the ground-breaking Gonski Review of School funding.
The Gonski Review not only found that Australian schools need an urgent injection of $5 billion a year, but also recommended revolutionising the way we fund schools to make sure that the needs of every student are adequately resourced.
The Greens are the only party that fully supports the Gonski recommendations.
Tell us how Gonski funding would help you and we'll share your stories with Parliament.
According to the Gonski Review, Australian students in economically disadvantaged areas are up to three years behind their peers in wealthy areas, and one in seven 15 year old students do not have basic reading skills. To address this, the review recommends:
- Investing an extra $3.8 billion per year in public schools, and $1.2 billion in independent schools;
- Giving each school a standard base amount of funding per student, which in public schools would be equivalent on average to $1500 per student per year;
- Providing additional funding to cater for students from disadvantaged areas, of Indigenous background, from rural and remote communities, and with higher needs.
We want to hear how the funding model that Gonski proposes would help you and your community. We will choose the best responses to read out loud in Parliament.
Please use the form below to tell us:
- What an extra investment would mean for your school;
- How your school experiences have shaped your life; and
- Why a well-funded school system is crucial to our future.
Share your stories with us and we will deliver them directly to members of the Government and the Opposition in Parliament, and to your local MP.